Translate

Monday, March 30, 2015

Wendy Recommends- #1

Hello dear Readers,

Today, I would like to recommend a book I read two years ago and is among my favorite books of all time. I love the story. Very interesting events, great and unforgettable characters and an amazing writing style.

The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henríquez.

Title: The Book of Unknown Americans
Author: Cristina Henríquez
Genre: Novel/Fiction
Publisher: Knopf, First Edition June 3, 2014)
Language: English
Hardcover: 304 Pages

Book Description


When fifteen-year-old Maribel Rivera sustains a terrible injury, the Riveras leave behind a comfortable life in Mexico and risk everything to come to the United States so that Maribel can have the care she needs. Once they arrive, it’s not long before Maribel attracts the attention of Mayor Toro, the son of one of their new neighbors, who sees a kindred spirit in this beautiful, damaged outsider. Their love story sets in motion events that will have profound repercussions for everyone involved. Here Henríquez seamlessly interweaves the story of these star-crossed lovers, and of the Rivera and Toro families, with the testimonials of men and women who have come to the United States from all over Latin America. The Book of Unknown Americans is a stunning novel of hopes and dreams, guilt and love—a book that offers a resonant new definition of what it means to be Americans.

My thoughts
*I gave 5/5 stars on Goodreads

I enjoyed and liked this book a lot. I related to the characters in a way that I know how does it feel to come to America and have a life here. The reasons and the circumstances why people come to this country can be different but one thing I think is the same for everybody is the fact that you are coming to the greatest country in the world. You want to see everything.

For some people, like it happened to a few characters in the book, coming to America was a way to escape from their lives in their countries. They wanted a better life, they wanted to see their dreams in life coming true and they knew if they stayed in their countries that was not going to happen. For some of them, their dreams came true, for others, their lives turned out to be completely different of what they expected, however, just the fact of trying to come to America, in the conditions they did, for me, it makes them human. Pursue what you love, what you want in life. This may be a fiction book but the situations described on it are not. They are things that happen everyday, everyday millions of people try to come to the United States, like I said before, for different reasons. This book reminded me of how lucky I am to be here. My country will always be my home, like the book says, I will always love it but I am lucky that people do not ignore me or do not pretend that I do not exist here. This book reminded me of we need to remember to treat others good everyday. To be nice. To love each other, no matter where are you from. To help other people whenever you can. Like this book says, the characters were not unknown because they were illegal or didn't have the documents but because people didn't want to know them.

Wen


No comments:

Post a Comment